Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spiritually Empowered Wholeness

Moving Mountains                                                                                               
A first rate teacher seems irreplaceable, but a truly great teacher sets His students free to grow into their full potential.  Jesus was such a teacher.  He taught parables,  precepts and by example.  He sent them out to teach and to heal, to practice the principles He taught them.  But more was required.


In Matthew 17:14-21, a man brings his son to Jesus to be healed, because the disciples have tried and failed to heal him.  His response in this particular story borders on the bizarre when He answers His disciples' failure with this:

Because of your unbelief, ...for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed,  you will say to this mountain,  'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

Can you imagine what would happen if each one of us suddenly began moving things around to suit themselves?  We could send Stone Mountain to Manhattan and move the diamond mines of Africa to Atlanta.  Or perhaps someone in Manitoba got tired of winter and decided to change the tilt of the axis to move Canada toward a warmer climate zone.

Obviously, this isn't about the mountain itself.  It's about the idea of the mountain, of seemingly immovable objects or blocks in our physical, mental and spiritual lives.  Think of the concept of the "self-fulfilling prophecy;"  if I have no concept of success, I will only demonstrate failure because that's all I know.  The only role model a child born into poverty has is lack and hopelessness.  If I believe that poor health or disease "run in my family", how can I possibly demonstrate wholeness?

The Teacher's job is to teach the Truth, but the teacher cannot move the mountain of unbelief for the student.  We must move our own mountains and free ourselves from a belief system anchored in negative thinking and un-worthiness.  Jesus taught the Truth.  It is ours to practice the principles of transformational living.  The closing quote is from the Lenten Study Guide for Easter Sunday, April 1987:

Every time I let go of old ways and enter into the new, I have taken part in a resurrecting process.  Every time I have prayed for light and have been lifted into joy, into a feeling of oneness with God, I have experienced resurrection.
Every time I have made a new beginning, every time I have said to myself, "With God's help I will rise up; with His help I will begin again," I have been resurrected. Every time I have rise in thought to a new concept of life and healing, every time I have conquered pain, I have been resurrected.
Rev. Claudia Naylor