Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Retreat: Monastery of the Holy Spirit

Wisdom of the Christian Mystics

This past weekend I attended a retreat at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers,  GA.   A friend of mine attended a retreat there  this past spring and absolutely loved it. The grounds are lovely, the rooms and food are simple and the monks' choir is out of   this world.  Because of the heat,  I only explored the grounds during the first hour after sunrise.  I would love to return again for the Contemplative Prayer Retreat. 

The lesson series Spiritually Empowered Wholeness, which I taught this spring, set me upon the path of the mystical traditions and contemplative prayer.  Over the past several months, I have found my life enriched and overflowing with joy.  Consequently,  when I found  this retreat theme, my heart leaped up.

Wisdom of the Christian Mystics
(Fr. Tom Francis & Carl McColman)

From the Desert Fathers to Julian of Norwich to Thomas Merton, Christian history   is filled with stories of men and women who experienced a profound sense of God’s presence in their lives. Can the teachings of the mystics still speak to us today? The mystics themselves would say “yes,” and furthermore, that their message is not just for priests, monks, or nuns, but is indeed meant for the entire people of God. With   this in mind, during this weekend we will look at several ways that the wisdom of   the Christian mystics can provide insight and inspiration for our age, including the universal call to holiness; St. Paul’s directive to “pray without ceasing”; and the promise from the Psalms to “be still and know that I am God.”

Carl McColman,  one of the presenters,   is a delightful teacher whose book,  The Big Book of Christian Mysticism, was released just before our retreat.  I read a number of books prior to this retreat,  including Thomas Merton and Teilhard de Chardin, but was delighted to find Carl's book.  I haven't finished it because it isn't the sort one races through, but I am well pleased.

The path of mysticism is one of falling in love with God and experiencing the fullness of being.   It is a journey, not a destination.  As Carl indicated during the opening session, the mystic seeks to develop  a more intimate relationship with God in the Silence.

Rev. Claudia Naylor